Sunday, December 6, 2015

Two Bulletin Boards

This week I put up two new bulletin boards.  I included an "I can" statement that summarizes the learning goal of the lesson in first grader friendly language in each bulletin board.  The I can statement helps students identify what their learning goal for the lesson is. It's easier for them to monitor their learning if they know what they are supposed to be learning.

Both of the I can statements on the bulletin boards support our Everyday Math curriculum.  Here are the I can statements from the first bulletin board:
For this bulletin board, I brought in enough 30" to 40" sticks for each student. Students had their choice of non-standard materials with which to measure the stick.  Next, they finished the sentence stem, "My stick is _____(number) ______________(non-standard unit) long" by typing on my computer with a parent volunteer.   

Here are examples of their work:
Students measured their sticks with paper hearts, cut out apples, circles, snowmen, and yellow diamond shapes.
Students measured  their sticks with gingerbread people, stars, hearts, and snowmen.
Students measured their sticks with letters, yellow diamonds, miniature hearts, apples and gingerbread people. 



In the second bulletin board, students used wrapping paper cut up in different lengths to make holiday trees.  They had to put the strips in order from longest to shortest in order to form the triangular shape of the tree.  Here is the I can statement:
 Here are some examples of their work:
Students enjoy seeing their work displayed in the hallways of their school.   It gives them a sense of accomplishment and pride in their work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment