Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Our Trip To The L.O.C.A.L. Garden

Today we went to the L.O.C.A.L. garden to plant garlic and kale, pick peppers and eggplant, and put some of the gardens to bed.  Special thanks to Mr. Henrikson and Mrs. Johnstone for volunteering to help.  Mrs. Burhoe was the L.O.C.A.L. garden volunteer who helped us while we were there.

Here are some pictures of our morning.

First I went to Shaw's very early to pick up a couple of loaves of garlic bread to surprise my students with after we came back from the garden.  But they had no garlic bread at Shaw's!  After explaining that I was a desperate teacher and wanted two loaves for my class who would be coming back from planting garlic later this morning, they whipped me up a couple of loaves. They even let me go into the bakery to take the pictures!
The person who works in the bakery is spreading the garlic and butter on one of the loaves I bought.
Then off to the garden we went to plant.  First, we planted garlic.
Garlic bulbs are planted 2 or 3 inches deep.  Many of the bulbs had little tiny starter seedlings growing to help us know which end to plant up.

Then we spread dirt over the garlic bulbs that we had planted.
And we covered the bulbs with hay to keep them warm for the winter.
Mrs. Burhoe directed us every step of the way.  That's Mr. Henrikson beside Mrs. Burhoe helping out.

These are some of the garlic bulbs.

Cute, cute, cute garlic sign!
Some kids picked peppers and eggplant. 

Here are the pepper and eggplant pickers and their bounty!
This is a close up of the peppers and eggplant we picked.  Check out my boots!
Back to Dike Newell for our garlic bread!
Everyone had a delicious snack!

Special thanks to Mr. Henrikson who drove our car back to Dike Newell to get my camera which I had left in our classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment