Thursday, October 10, 2013

$996.00! Thank You!

Earlier this week I received an email from DonorsChoose letting me know that the grant that I wrote for almost $1000.00 was filled.  We will be receiving four bean bags, a new listening center and headsets, a new small table, and Mo Willems books.  Thank you to my family and friends who all together donated almost $700.00.  The parents of two of my students and U.S. Cellular finished the final $300.00.

Last year I reorganized, remodeled, redid my listening center with about 30 new books on CDs.  Of course, the first week of school this year, my CD player broke!  We are currently without any CD players in the classroom so I am especially relieved about receiving a new one.  It is so important for students to have a choice of books to listen to because they are more engaged listeners when they have a chance to choose what they would like to listen to.  In addition, listening to accomplished readers read fluently is great modeling for their own developing fluency.   The ten headsets will go a long way over the next few years. . .it seems one or two is always broken. 

There are seven Mo Willems books in the grant.  Mo Willems is a favorite author of our class.   His books are written at levels just beyond the current independent level for many of my students, and so they are perfect for pushing their reading forward, and as students become more capable readers, the books become old favorites that they can read to help develop fluency.

The table is going to be used in an area of the classroom that I collect and organize lessons to be taught.  I am currently using a table that I bought for $4.50 at a yard sale fourteen years ago and it is about time I replaced it.  

Since 2008, DonorsChoose has funded thirteen of my projects totaling $6882.27.    

We can't wait to receive our new materials!  Thank you to everyone for your generosity.


No comments:

Post a Comment