Monday, October 17, 2016

Game Boxes

Every year we play lots and lots of games in first grade, particularly in math.  Some of the benefits of playing games are increasing time with family and friends, learning something new and improving one's memory by keeping track of what is happening in the game, and engaging in an activity that does not rely on using a computer screen.  Recently I learned that playing games can increase academic achievement up to 20%.  I was also thinking about way to connect home and school.  I thought that creating a "game box" for each child in my class would provide an opportunity for students to play games at home that we also play in school. 

I sent home activities that my students have practiced at school that parents can play at home with them.  Some of the activities my first graders will be able to do individually, some they will need a partner.  I plan to send home activities throughout the school year. 

Here are some pictures from the game day roll out!

These are the game boxes all stacked up and ready to be distributed.

They are practicing playing the games before they bring them home.
A parent helped distribute the game boxes.
Here is one student's game box. 




No comments:

Post a Comment