Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

As has been my tradition for a number of years, I had a guest from the community come and read to my class on Dr. Seuss's birthday.  Cynthia Lewis, a retired special education pre-kindergarten teacher from Massachusetts who taught for 30 years, visited us today.  Mrs. Lewis holds a masters degree from Lesley University in Cambridge, Massachusetts and is a highly skilled teacher.  She did a wonderful job reading Horton Hears a Who to my first graders.  The lesson from Horton Hears a Who is, "A person's a person no matter how small."

Children benefit from the connections they make with members of the community.  For example, today they heard a story read in a different voice than my own.  Throughout her reading, Mrs. Lewis dropped the end of the line rhyming word and my students predicted the word.  She modeled how important reading is throughout our entire life.

Thank you for coming to class, Mrs. Lewis!

No comments:

Post a Comment