Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Boardroom

This morning I received my first issue of The Boardroom, which is the monthly electronic newsletter published by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.  According to the congratulatory letter that I received from the CEO of the National Board when I certified,  an automatic subscription would be available in my in-box after I became Board certified.
I read the issue cover to cover but was particularly interested in several sections. There was a piece that reported the results of the first ever National Board Certified Teachers (NBCT) census.  I participated in the census (it felt like 1000 questions!) the week after I became certified and the results are now being published. I am pretty humbled by the company I keep. Here are some of the results:


A second section that I know I am going to enjoy is "What we're reading." This month's recommendation is Professional Capital by Andy Hargreaves and Michael Fullan.  I have read some of Michael Fullan's books for a graduate class I had taken on school leadership so I am familiar with his work.  Professional Capital makes a case for investing in the the capability of teacher leaders such as NBCTs to advance the entire teaching profession.   I received a generous gift certificate to a book store from one of my students for Christmas, and this will be the book I buy!

Leisurely reading the issue was a great way to spend Saturday morning, and I'm looking forward to January's edition in my mailbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment